Tuesday, 1 March 2011

My hair smells like the M25 in the middle of August

Ok so this post is nearly as glamorous and envy provoking as my last! Last week I went to the doctors complaining of a very sore scalp (shameful), I explained to my doctor that I had tried various medical shampoos but nothing seemed to help. With that her eyes lit up and she hastily began to write out a prescription for ‘Polytar’, almost like she was taking joy in prescribing what can only be described as the devil in a tacky white bottle. I, perhaps naively, thought that ‘Polytar’ sounded like a fairly normal shampoo and was quite looking forward to trying it out but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Little did I know this stuff was actually made from tar. Yes, tar – the stuff that they make roads from! The back of the bottle held little reassurance for me too, reading it capital letters ‘DO NOT USE IF SKIN DOES NOT AGREE WITH TAR.’ How is one meant to know whether or not their skin agrees with tar? Do people make habit of lavishing it on themselves?
Oh, but ‘Polytar’ only got worse when I poured it on my hand to find it had the same consistency as gravy (eww.) (The murky brown colour wasn’t all too promising either.) However these are just minor imperfections compared to the utterly vile smell!  The overwhelming stench of tar is a far cry from the sweet smelling ‘Ausie miracle moist’ shampoo that I’m used to. I now find that I have to use crazy amounts of conditioner to disguise the tary odour (not that it works,  I can smell it for hours after!) I’ve used this shampoo twice now and I haven’t really seen much improvement in my scalp however it’s probably far too early for good results yet. Looks like I’m in for another few weeks of this hellish shampoo, oh the joy.

4 comments:

emmax said...

I've been waiting for this since you told me about it in geography ;) So funny! x

Holly said...

Oh god Tessa this is hilarious! Reading this post was a lovely end to a joyous day (;!xx

Jenny said...

Ouch sore scalps are evil, I know this, have you tried ketopine? x

Leesha said...

Haha that doesn't sound very nice! I hope you can see some good results in the next few days! (: x